Telecommunications Services on Campus

Telecommunications Services on Campus

The following information is provided for Southeast students, faculty and staff regarding telecommunications services that are available.


Emergency Information

During an emergency, faculty, staff and students are to dial "911" from a campus phone or 573-651-2911 from a cell phone, which is routed to the University Department of Public Safety (DPS) which is a Commissioned Police Agency. University DPS is open 24 hours per day. Red emergency phones call directly to DPS when the handset is lifted and are located on each floor in the resident hall buildings, as well as other sites on campus.

Hearing/Speech Impaired Services

A voice user calling a hearing/speech impaired user - 1-800-735-2466
A hearing/speech impaired user calling a voice user - 1-800-735-2966

Harassing/Threatening Calls

If you receive harassing or threatening telephone calls, please call 573-651-2215, University Department of Public Safety. Telecommunications works very closely with DPS in tracking down these types of calls.

Services for the Deaf

There are two locations on campus that have Telephone Devices for the Deaf (TDD):

Accessibility Services - Crisp Hall 201-202, ext. 6191
University Police - 1401 N. Sprigg St., ext. 2383


Southeast Missouri State University adheres to the nationwide TIA/EIA telecommunications wiring standards and codes. In order to maintain these standards, ensure safety issues and prevent damage to university facilities, the Telecommunications Department is the only authorized unit to perform telephone, local area network (LAN), fiber optics, and cable TV wiring. If you wish to have any communication wiring performed, please contact the Telecommunications Department at ext. 2575.


Services for Students

Fax Services

Fax services for students are available at the IT Help Desk in Memorial Hall 107 and at Information Technology in GS-1, top floor. For outbound faxes, the charge is $2 for the first page 10 cents for each additional page. For inbound faxes, the charge is 25 cents per page. These charges will be placed on the student's account and billed monthly. For questions concerning this service, please call Telecommunications at ext. 2575.

Internet Access

Internet access is readily available on Southeast's campus. Students can visit any of the Open Computer Labs on campus. All Open Computer Labs are equipped with networked computers, printers, scanners and current versions of software that students need for their class work. For more information on the Open Labs visit here. Students living in residence halls can connect via wireless (Wi-Fi) or wired connections. Additionally, Wi-Fi is available in all academic and administrative buildings across campus.

For more information regarding connecting personal devices to the campus network visit here. If additional assistance is needed contact the IT Help Desk at or

Repair/Trouble Reporting

Students experiencing problems or difficulties with the University cable TV system, or connecting to the network, may contact the Information Technology Help Desk at Additionally, current students may request assistance 24/hrs per day by visiting IT's Web Help Desk system.


Services for Faculty & Staff

Requesting Services

When a department or unit needs to add, change or repair one of the services we provide, please submit a work order request to Telecommunications describing your need. We will create a work order and get to you as soon as possible. Some services have a corresponding charge, so please include your billing information on the request. Click here to create and send a work order request.

Cellular Service

Cellular telephone service is available for faculty & staff with appropriate Budget Custodian approval. The State of Missouri Office of Administration bids out this service, therefore, the vendor and plan options change on a periodic basis. Departments must go through Telecommunications to arrange and activate this service for university use. Please contact the Telecommunications office at ext. 2575 for current plans and pricing.

Departments are billed a monthly service charge plus any overage charges that may be incurred. These charges will appear on your departmental regular monthly bill. Cellular service may be requested by sending an email to

Discounts on personal cellular plans are available from certain carriers. Contact the Telecommunications office at ext. 2575 for more information.

Conference Calls

Conference calls can be placed either using an existing speaker phone or by requesting conference equipment from Telecommunications. For conference calls where multiple people are calling into a phone number here on campus, contact the Telecommunications office about setting up a conference bridge. If you are making or receiving a conference call with a group of people on campus involved, you may want to lease the teleconference equipment for a $10 rental fee. Please contact Telecommunications at least 1 day in advance if any of these services are needed at extension 2575.

Internet/LAN Access

Local area network (LAN) connections are available to Faculty/staff. If additional LAN connections are needed, please submit a request by sending an email to or by submitting a work order online here. Current pricing for LAN connections are a one time charge of $500 each. Payment for LAN connections will either be through the Information Technology Committee or through the department.

Security Cameras

Telecommunications will install Security Cameras at the written request of departments. These cameras will be monitored at the University Department of Public Safety. Costs vary depending on the application. Please call Telecommunications at ext. 2575 if you have questions.

1-800 Service

Any department wanting 1-800 inbound service must call Telecommunications. The State of Missouri bids out this service on a periodic basis and we are required to use the state contract. The department is charged per minute for each call and will receive an internal monthly billing.

FAX Services

The University has implemented a cloud-based fax service with eGoldFax. For more information about this service and for the monthly rate, please call Telecommunications at ext. 2575.

Cable TV Information

Cable TV service is provided on campus through Spectrum (Charter Communications). Listed below are the fee charges applicable for the service:

Cable TV jack installation:      $  75.00
Spectrum activation:               $100.00 (If Spectrum has to come to campus)      
Monthly fee:                            $  10.00 (1 year contract required)                


All televisions on campus must contain a QAM digital tuner to receive the channels. Older analog televisions are no longer compatible with the University’s cable TV system. Most televisions today are digital/QAM compliant, however less expensive or budget televisions may not be. To find out if your television has a QAM tuner, check the specifications in your owner's manual, or visit the manufacturer's website.

What is a clear QAM tuner and how do I know if my TV has one?

 A clear QAM tuner allows your TV to tune to digital or HD channels. Most, but not all, TV’s that were made after 2006 have a clear QAM tuner built in. You can search online by make/model of your TV or reference your TV’s owner’s manual for specific model information related to what type of tuner is present in your TV. An example of what the manual may say if the TV has a clear QAM tuner: “Built-in digital tuner (ATSC/Clear QAM)”, or “NTSC/QAM“.

Additionally, if your TV remote has the (.) or (-) symbol button for easy tuning or is able to display channels such as 5.2 or 5-2, your TV likely has a QAM tuner.

An example of what the manual may say if the TV does NOT have a QAM tuner:
ATSC / NTSC Tuner” (there will be no mention of QAM).

Campus Cable Channel Lineup 

Click here for a printable version.

NOTE: The actual channel numbers are in 'tiers', ie there are three different channel 50s. The three channels will show up as 50-2, 50-4, 50-6 as an example. The actual channel number may be different on your tv depending on the brand and type of tuner that your tv has. Example: in the Towers Lounge the Science Channel may be 50-4, but on your tv in your room it may be channel 50-5. The Science Channel will be 50-?? everywhere on campus. We believe it will be standard on MOST tv's in the Halls but cannot know for sure at this time.



Article ID: 729
Tue 9/28/21 9:45 AM
Mon 3/20/23 9:35 AM

Related Services / Offerings (2)

Cable TV service provided on campus.
Cellphone service offered in campus.